Metrology is the science of measurement, embracing both experimental and theoretical determinations at any level of uncertainty in any field of science and technology
A sound measurement system is an essential element in achieving an effective safety policy. Essential factors for such a system are:
- traceability to the International System of Units, or SI (scientific metrology);
- regulated measurements and measuring instruments (legal metrology); and
- confidence in testing and measurement results via certification, standardisation, accreditation and calibration (industrial metrology).
Metrology covers three main activities:
- The definition of internationally accepted units of measurement, e.g. the metre.
- The realisation of units of measurement by scientific methods, e.g. the realisation of a metre through the use of lasers
- The establishment of traceability chains e.g. International Prototype →National Standard →Primary Standard →Secondary Standard →Working Standard
The Metrology Directorate has staff strength of fifty-six (56). This workforce comprises Thirty-six (36) Permanent Staff, Thirteen (13) Contract Staff and seven (7) National Service Personnel.
The staff have MSc, BSc and HND qualifications in the relevant disciplines of the Directorate.
The functions of the Directorate are performed by three (3) departments, namely:
- Scientific Metrology
- Industrial Metrology
- Legal Metrology
- Scientific metrology- deals with the organization and development of measurement standards and with their maintenance.
- Industrial metrology- ensures the adequate functioning of measurement instruments used in industry, in production and testing processes, for ensuring quality of life for citizens and for academic research.
- Legal metrology- is the application of legal requirements to measurements and measuring instruments. It is the branch of metrology concerned with the implementation of regulations to ensure an appropriate level of credibility for measurement results whenever conflicts of interest exist.
The three department of metrology currently undertake calibration, verification, inspection and pattern approval of instruments in the following key areas:
- Calibration of Analytical Balance, Platform Weighing Scales, Comparators, Moisture Analyzers, Test Weights
- Calibration of Pressure Gauges, Sphygmomanometers, Pressure Chart Recorders, Pressure Indicators, Pressure Relief Valves, Vacuum gauges
- Calibration of Climatic Chambers ,Thermometers (Liquid in glass, Digital, Dial, Infra Red), PT100 thermometers, Temperature Transmitters, Autoclaves, Water Baths, Temperature Blocks Calibrators, Hot Plates, Air Temperature Sensors, Cold Rooms, Cold Vans, Cold Hatches, Warehouse Mapping , Thermocouples, Stability Chambers, Ovens, Incubators, Furnaces, Freezers, Fridges, Dissolution Testers, Disintegration Apparatus, Melting Point Apparatus
- Moisture meters for cereals, cocoa, coffee, cashew
- Calibration of Piston Pipettes, Bottle Dispensers, Glass wares (Measuring Cylinder, Burette, Conical Flask, Beaker, Volumetric Flask) Visugauges/Measuring Cans
- Calibration of TDS, pH Meters, Conductivity Meters, Refractometers, Alcohol Meters, Hydrometers, Breath Analyzers, Density Meters (Hydrometers).
- Calibration of Torque Wrenches
- Calibration of Signal Generators, Meggers, Timers, Multimeters, Clamp Meters, Volt Meters, Ampere Meters, Voltage Generators, Frequency Calibrators, Pin Hole Detectors, Resistance Boxes, Earth Resistance Testers, Energy Meters, Battery Chargers, Hi-Voltage Probe, DC Power Supplies, Master Load Bank, Insulation & Resistance Testers, Spark Detectors, Digital Pressure Indicators .
- Calibration of Thermo hygrometers, Hygrometers, Air Temperature Sensors
- Calibration of Micrometer Screw gauges, Vernier Calipers, Tape Measures, Dip Tapes, Rulers, Thickness Gauges, Height Gauges, Dial Indicators, Counter Meters, Block gauges.
- Calibration of weighing scales
- Calibration of flow meters, prover tanks, syrup tanks and other storage tanks
- Calibration of compression machines
- Calibration of California Bearing Ratio (CBR) machine
- Verification of fuel dispensing pumps
- Verification of auto gas dispensers
- Verification of trading scales
- Verification of tyre pressure gauges
- Verification of weighbridges and axle weighers
- Pattern approval certification
- Inspection of cranes and lifting machines.
- Verification of Speed radars
- Inspections of weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments used for trade.
Calibration:- is an operation that, under specified conditions establishes a relation between the quantity values with measurement uncertainties provided by measurement standards and corresponding conditions with associated measurement uncertainties, and uses this information to establish a relation for obtaining a measurement result from an indication.
Verification:- A conformity assessment procedure (other than type evaluation) which results in the affixing of a verification mark and/or issuing of a verification certificate
Pattern approval:-Decision of legal relevance, based on the review of the type evaluation report that, the type of a measuring instrument complies with the relevant statutory requirements and results in the issuance of the pattern approval certificate.
Inspection:-An examination of a product design, product, process or installation and determination of its conformity with specific requirements or, on the basis of professional judgment, with general requirements